Balanced Washington State routs IdahoNov 17, 2007 - 7:05 AM PULLMAN, Washington (Ticker) -- Six Washington State players scored in double-figures as the ninth-ranked Cougars rolled to a 74-43 victory over Idaho on Friday.
Aron Baynes and Derrick Low each scored 12 points for the Cougars (3-0) while Robbie Cowgill, Taylor Rochestie, Kyle Weaver and Daven Harmeling each had 10.
Washington State led 36-24 at the half and never let the Vandals back in the game after the break. The Cougars shot 51 percent (24-of-47) from the field and never trailed after jumping out to an 8-0 lead.
Jordan Brooks scored 14 points and had five rebounds for Idaho (1-2), which was facing a ranked team for the second time in four days. The Vandals lost 80-43 at No. 14 Gonzaga on Tuesday,
"This was a hard week for the Vandals," Idaho coach George Pfeifer said. "We are a young basketball program and I feel bad in some respects that we put our team in this sort of pressure cooker this early on in the season."
The Vandals shot 35 percent (19-of-54) from the field and were just 1-of-6 from the line.
"We had some opportunities to score early on but we were taking quick shots before we settled down and pecked away a little bit," Pfeifer said. "I couldn't be more proud of our players and how they fought for 40 minutes, however. We had guys stepping in to take charges at the end of the game."
The Cougars, who have won five straight and 10 of the last 11 meetings with the Vandals, were 23-of-27 from the line.
"The free throw line was again a nemesis for us. We were 1-of-6 and they were 23-of-27. That is a problem for us," Pfeifer said.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
IDAHO 24 19 43
WASHINGTON ST (9) 36 38 74 FINAL
Nov 16 11:57 PM
- NCAA BB
(9) WASHINGTON ST 36 HALFTIME
Nov 16 10:51 PM
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Washington cruises past Division II Golden Eagles 74-57 Nov 25
- Washington State Cougars reject last place prediction Oct 28
- Washington St Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Utah battles past Washington State Mar 6
- Utes tangle with Cougars in Pac-12 tilt Mar 5
- Arizona routs Washington State Feb 15
- Wildcats collide with Cougars in Pac-12 affair Feb 15
- Utah rebounds with 22-point win over WSU Jan 22
- Pac-12 clash pits Cougars against Utes Jan 21
- No. 9 Gonzaga thumps Washington State Dec 11