Defense keys Georgetown's victory over Old DominionNov 29, 2007 - 5:41 AM NORFOLK, Virginia (Ticker) -- Georgetown used its defense and a big run to make sure that Old Dominion would not spring an upset for the second straight season.
Roy Hibbert had 14 points and 10 rebounds as the fifth-ranked Hoyas held the Monarchs to a terrible shooting night en route to a 66-48 triumph on Wednesday.
Georgetown (4-0), which lost, 75-62, at home to Old Dominion last November, pulled away with a 20-3 run between the end of the first half and beginning of the second as it coasted to the finish.
With the game tied at 21-21 with 3:38 left in the first half, the Hoyas ended the period on a 9-2 burst - capped by a dunk by Hibbert - to take a seven-point lead at the break.
Georgetown opened the second half with an 11-1 spurt - Old Dominion missed its first six shots - to take a 41-24 advantage. The Hoyas never led by less than 12 points the rest of the game.
Old Dominion (3-4), which had won its first three home games this season, shot just 31 percent (20-of-64) from the field.
Freshman Austin Freeman added 11 points off the bench for the Hoyas, who shot 52 percent (26-of-50) from the floor, and are 4-0 for the first time since the 2003-04 season.
Old Dominion scored the first basket - its only lead of the game - before the Hoyas answered with nine straight to take a 9-2 lead.
Gerald Lee, who scored 16 of the final 18 points in the first half for the Monarchs, finished with 24 points and 12 rebounds - both career highs.
Lee was the only player with more than six points for the Monarchs, who have lost all four games this season to ranked opponents, including three in a row to teams currently in the top 10.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGETOWN (5) 30 36 66
OLD DOMINION 23 25 48 FINAL
Nov 28 8:49 PM
- NCAA BB
(5) GEORGETOWN 30
OLD DOMINION 23 HALFTIME
Nov 28 7:44 PM
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13