Oglesby shoots Clemson past East CarolinaDec 6, 2007 - 5:25 AM GREENVILLE, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Clemson's first visit to East Carolina went so well that it won't mind coming back.
The 17th-ranked Tigers shot the lights out, dominated the boards and rolled to an 82-67 victory over the Pirates on Wednesday.
Freshman Terrence Oglesby scored 22 points for Clemson, which was playing at East Carolina for the first time in school history and is off to an 8-0 start for the third straight campaign.
Oglesby came off the bench and put on a long-distance shooting clinic in 22 minutes of action. He was 7-of-9 from the field, including 6-of-7 from the arc. The Tigers made 12-of-24 3-pointers as a team.
"He has the ability to stretch defenses and either keep another team at bay or break the game open," Clemson coach Oliver Purnell said.
Fellow freshman Demontez Stitt scored 13 points and Trevor Booker had 17 rebounds for Clemson, which held a 50-26 advantage on the boards.
The Pirates hung tough in the early going but Cliff Hammonds scored 11 points and Stitt added 10 in the first half as the Tigers opened up a 47-29 lead.
"I think we learned a lot tonight," East Carolina coach Mack McCarthy said. "Each time you play against that level of competition, you understand what works and what doesn't work."
Clemson never let East Carolina back in the game in the second half as Oglesby found his range. He hit a 3-pointer with 13:43 to play to make it 54-37 and added another 1 1/2 minutes later to extend the lead to 60-39.
Sam Hinnant scored 16 points for East Carolina, with 14 of them coming in the first half.
The loss dropped East Carolina to 0-57 all-time against Atlantic Coast Conference teams. The Pirates get another chance to break that streak on Saturday when they host North Carolina State.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CLEMSON (17) 47 35 82
EAST CAROLINA 29 38 67 FINAL
Dec 5 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
(17) CLEMSON 47
EAST CAROLINA 29 HALFTIME
Dec 5 7:53 PM
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Coach: Clemson reserve guard Austin Ajukwa transferring Nov 3
- Clemson Preview Capsule Oct 26
- On The Road: Clemson spending all season away from home Oct 26
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- Grant leads Notre Dame over Clemson Mar 7
- Irish set sights on Tigers in season finale Mar 7
- Duke demolishes Clemson without Okafor Feb 21
- Duke and Clemson clash in ACC action Feb 21
- Notre Dame survives scare at Clemson Feb 10