BYU opens big lead and cruises past Weber StateDec 6, 2007 - 7:09 AM PROVO, Utah (Ticker) -- Brigham Young got off to a fast start and never looked back in a 72-57 victory over intrastate rival Weber State on Wednesday.
Sam Burgess scored 16 points for the 22nd-ranked Cougars, who led 42-21 at the half.
Lee Cummard, Jonathan Tavernari and Trent Plaisted each scored 14 points for BYU (7-1).
Plaisted added 15 rebounds and five blocks for the Cougars, who are off to their best start through eight games since 2002-03, when they also posted a 7-1 record after eight contests.
"I was really pleased with our captains tonight," BYU coach Dave Rose said. "They gave us great leadership. Trent (Plaisted) was phenomenal, Lee (Cummard) was steady, and Sam (Burgess) gave us a big boost in energy in the second half."
Cummard had 11 points and Tavernari added 10 in the first half when the Cougars broke the game open. BYU was 6-of-12 from the arc and 12-of-15 from the line in the opening 20 minutes while Weber State did not attempt a single free throw.
"The in-state games have a whole different feel," Rose said. "Defensively it is more aggressive and a faster pace because of that these in-state games are good to play."
Trevor Morris was the only player in double figures with 12 for Weber State, which shot 20-of-60 (33 percent) from the field, including 5-of-17 on 3-pointers.
BYU has now won 35 consecutive home games - the second-longest streak in the nation behind Memphis' 36.
The Wildcats, who were coming off a 78-61 setback to Illinois on Saturday, have not scored more than 66 points in a contest since a season-opening victory over Utah State.
"I was very impressed with their team," Weber State coach Randy Rahe said. "They played with a lot of energy and a lot of confidence. We saw a really good basketball team. There is a reason that they are ranked.
"I though our kids battled very hard. We struggled through the first half, but we came out in the second half and played hard and stayed together."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WEBER ST 21 36 57
BYU (22) 42 30 72 FINAL
Dec 5 11:18 PM
- NCAA BB
WEBER ST 21
(22) BYU 42 HALFTIME
Dec 5 10:17 PM
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11