Jordan, Texas A&M crush DetroitDec 20, 2007 - 4:53 AM COLLEGE STATION, Texas (Ticker) -- DeAndre Jordan and No. 11 Texas A&M made short work of Detroit on Wednesday night.
Jordan had 14 points and eight rebounds and Josh Carter scored 11 as the Aggies cruised to a 79-39 victory over the Titans.
The freshman center went 7-of-8 from the floor for the Aggies, who shot 57 percent (30-of-52) and outrebounded the Titans, 40-24.
Jordan, who leads the nation in field goal percentage at 79 percent (46-of-58), said he is getting more comfortable with the college game.
"The first couple of games I was nervous, just trying to get into the game, and how to play," Jordan said. "Now that we are 10 or 11 games in I'm used to it and it's a routine now. So let's just keep it going."
Texas A&M (10-1), which is in the midst of an eight-game homestand, put the game away in the first half. Carter scored eight of his 11 points during a 15-2 run midway through the first half which helped the Aggies take a commanding 30-12 lead with 5:01 left.
"I'm pleased with how we played tonight," Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon said.
"I thought that we guarded well. In the 11 to 13 (minute) time out, we held them to 10 points, and five in transition. We jumped them a little bit, but I thought we did well. The one thing we didn't do well is rebounding. This team still isn't where we want them at. This team frustrates me on that."
The Aggies held a 36-15 edge at the break, and opened the second half with a 15-5 spurt to stretch the lead to 50-21 with 14:46 remaining. The bulge grew to 40 as B.J. Holmes hit a jumper to make it 75-35 with 2:26 left.
Texas A&M held Detroit to just 22 percent (6-of-27) from the floor in the first half, and just 24 percent (14-of-58) overall.
"Tonight we made a couple changes on our defensive philosophy, which helped us," Turgeon said. "We've given up 39 and 38 points the last two games. So we challenged them to continue that."
Jon Goode scored 13 points for the Titans (4-7), who have lost five straight games.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DETROIT 15 24 39
TEXAS A&M (11) 36 43 79 FINAL
Dec 19 9:54 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) TEXAS A&M 36 HALFTIME
Dec 19 8:48 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- No. 18 Texas A&M loses 67-54 to Arizona State Dec 6