B. Lopez had strong return for StanfordDec 20, 2007 - 8:12 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- It did not take Brook Lopez long to announce his return to Stanford.
Lopez scored 10 of his 20 points in the first half as the No. 25 Cardinal had little trouble in dispatching Santa Clara, 74-48, on Wednesday.
Unable to play in the first nine games of the season due to being academically ineligible, the sophomore 7-footer did not start, but entered the game with only 4 1/2 minutes expired.
On his first play on the offensive end, Lopez grabbed a rebound off a missed 3-pointer by Mitch Johnson but could not convert. Moments later, he hit a jumper on an assist from his twin brother Robin Lopez, giving Stanford an 11-5 lead with 14:20 remaining.
That jumper was towards the beginning of a 13-2 run by the Cardinal (9-1), who pulled ahead, 22-7, on a fastbreak dunk by Anthony Goods with 6:39 left.
Brook Lopez, who finished 7-of-12 from the field with six rebounds, added a layup and a jumper in the final 1:57 of the first half as Stanford took a 29-17 lead at the break.
Lopez added five more points and Goods knocked down two 3-pointers on a 21-2 run early in the second half for a 52-21 advantage with 12:12 to play.
Placing second on the team in blocks as a freshman last season, Lopez had just one in his return as he and his brother had their hands full with John Bryant. The 6-10, 305-pound junior finished with 17 points and nine rebounds for Santa Clara.
Lawrence Hill scored 16 points and Goods finished with 11 for the Cardinal, who pounded the Broncos on the boards by a 40-23 margin.
Taj Finger had 10 points and 11 rebounds and Johnson added seven points and five assists for Stanford, which shot 44 percent (24-of-54) and converted 20-of-29 free throws.
Brody Angley added 10 points for Santa Clara (7-4), which shot 39.5 percent (17-of-43) in being held under 50 points for the first time this season.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SANTA CLARA 17 31 48
STANFORD (25) 29 45 74 FINAL
Dec 20 12:29 AM
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 15
(25) STANFORD 29 HALFTIME
Dec 19 11:26 PM
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Pickens scores 20 in Stanford's 93-59 win over Buccaneers Nov 15
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13