Washington St. starts strong in both halves, rout The CitadelDec 21, 2007 - 7:01 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Aron Baynes showed The Citadel early that it didn't have enough artillery to hang with Washington State.
Baynes scored 11 of his 16 points in the first half as the sixth-ranked Cougars continued their early-season success with a 67-45 victory over the Bulldogs on Thursday.
Daven Harmeling added 11 points for Washington State (10-0), which continued its best start since the 1991-92 squad began 12-0.
The Cougars have two more non-conference games remaining before opening Pac-10 play at intra-state rival Washington on January 5. Last season, Washington State went 11-1 before being edged at top-ranked UCLA, 55-52, in its conference opener.
The Cougars didn't need much time to separate themselves from the Bulldogs, opening the game by scoring the first 13 points. Robbie Cowgill had five points and Taylor Rochestie and Derrick Low both hit a 3-pointer in the strong start.
Although The Citadel managed to answer that stellar beginning, knotting the game at 13-13 with 9:11 remaining, Baynes started to flex his muscle inside. The junior center converted two free throws and had a three-point play over the next two minutes for a 20-15 lead.
Harmeling had five straight points and Baynes added a layup and two free throws as the Cougars used a 20-5 run over the 8:54 of the first half to grab a 33-18 lead at the break.
Baynes, who finished 5-of-7 from the field and made all six of his free throws, added another three-point play and a dunk during a 19-0 run early in the second half for a 54-22 cushion with 10:45 remaining.
Baynes also had 12 rebounds for the Cougars, who finished with a 35-23 advantage on the boards in improving to 3-0 all-time in their now annual game in Seattle.
Cowgill had nine points and Kyle Weaver added six and six assists for Washington State, which shot 54 percent (26-of-48), including 5-of-14 on 3-pointers, in the rout.
Zach Urbanus and Cameron Wells had 14 points each for The Citadel (4-6), which was held a 33 percent (17-of-51) shooting and outrebounded, 30-18.
- AT SEATTLE
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
THE CITADEL 18 27 45
WASHINGTON ST (6) 33 34 67 FINAL
Dec 21 12:10 AM
- AT SEATTLE
NCAA BB THE CITADEL 18
(6) WASHINGTON ST 33 HALFTIME
Dec 20 11:15 PM
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Washington cruises past Division II Golden Eagles 74-57 Nov 25
- Washington State Cougars reject last place prediction Oct 28
- Washington St Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Utah battles past Washington State Mar 6
- Utes tangle with Cougars in Pac-12 tilt Mar 5
- Arizona routs Washington State Feb 15
- Wildcats collide with Cougars in Pac-12 affair Feb 15
- Utah rebounds with 22-point win over WSU Jan 22
- Pac-12 clash pits Cougars against Utes Jan 21