Tavernari's outburst helps BYU extend home dominanceDec 22, 2007 - 6:25 AM PROVO, Utah (Ticker) -- Jonathan Tavernari and No. 23 Brigham Young have not lost a home game in more than two years. Even their former coach could not beat them on their home court.
Tavernari scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half to help BYU extend the nation's longest home winning streak with a 70-55 victory over Southern Utah on Friday.
A sophomore, Tavernari shot 9-of-15 from the floor and scored seven straight points at one point to help BYU beat former coach Roger Reid.
Trent Plaisted added 11 points and eight rebounds for the Cougars (10-2), who have won 38 straight games here, one better than No. 2 Memphis. The Tigers host No. 5 Georgetown on Saturday.
"We made enough plays to win the game even though we weren't shooting as well as we're capable of," BYU coach Dave Rose said. "A lot of that had to do with Southern Utah. They played well."
Led by Reid, Southern Utah was competitive and trailed by only 10 at 31-21 after 20 minutes.
It was the first game against his former team for Reid, who led the Cougars to three Western Athletic Conference championships and five NCAA tournament berths from 1989-1996.
But his squad was overmatched by his old team, which has not lost a home game since an 83-71 setback to Loyola Marymount in the season opener of the 2005-06 season.
With BYU holding a 39-31 lead, Tavernari scored seven straight points to help the Cougars open up an 11-point cushion at 46-35 with 11:35 to play.
Geoff Payne and Davis Baker scored 15 points apiece for the Thunderbirds (2-10), who could only get as close as nine points at 54-45 with 5:57 remaining.
BYU, which shot 57 percent (26-of-45), had four players in double figures and improved to 11-0 all-time vs. Southern Utah.
"This coming week is a good time for us," Rose said. "We take a little break here for Christmas and then we can come back and practice a couple of days before Boise State. It's important for our team to concentrate on getting better."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTHERN UTAH 21 34 55
BYU (23) 31 39 70 FINAL
Dec 21 10:27 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN UTAH 21
(23) BYU 31 HALFTIME
Dec 21 9:15 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10