James, Marquette use big first half to crush Savannah StateDec 30, 2007 - 4:08 AM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Dominic James and No. 13 Marquette appear ready for conference play.
James scored 12 points and the Golden Eagles used a balanced attack to notch a 77-37 victory over Savannah State on Saturday.
Lazar Hayward also scored 12 points for Marquette, which jumped out to a 46-19 lead after 20 minutes and was in complete control the rest of the way.
Marquette held Savannah State to just 25 percent (14-of-55) shooting from the floor and dominated the backboards, 46-28. Curtis Brown scored nine points for the Tigers, who trailed by double digits the entire game.
It was such a laugher that James, the Golden Eagles' top scorer, was pulled from the game with 10:00 left and the score 63-26.
Marquette (10-1), which has won six straight, opens its Big East Conference schedule against Providence on January 3.
Coming off an 89-42 win over Coppin State on December 21, the Golden Eagles expected to have little trouble with Savannah State (7-11), which fell to just 1-8 on the road.
Marquette hit half of its 3-pointers (8-of-16) and have now won its last four games by an average of 35.5 points.
About the only thing that went right for the Tigers was that Patrick Hardy hit a 3-pointer to open the game. After that it was all downhill.
The Golden Eagles used runs of 13-0, 8-0 and 17-0 to break it open.
Maurice Acker capped the 17-0 run with a shot from the arc that made the score 36-11 with 7:17 left in the first half.
Savannah State then opened the second half by misfiring on 10 of its first 13 attempts.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAVANNAH ST 19 18 37
MARQUETTE (13) 46 31 77 FINAL
Dec 29 3:57 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 19
(13) MARQUETTE 46 HALFTIME
Dec 29 2:54 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12