Rivers, Clemson crush SamfordDec 30, 2007 - 3:02 AM CLEMSON, South Carolina (Ticker) -- K.C. Rivers and Clemson clearly have recovered from their first loss of the season.
Rivers scored 11 of his 16 points in the first half Saturday as 20th-ranked Clemson rolled to a 78-45 rout of Samford.
The victory came one week after the Tigers (11-1) suffered their first loss of the campaign, an 85-82 defeat to Mississippi in the championship of the San Juan Shootout.
But Clemson bounced back in a big way against the Bulldogs (5-6), racing to a 43-20 halftime lead and cruising after the break.
Rivers shot 7-of-12 from the floor, grabbed seven rebounds and dished out five assists. Fellow guard Demontez Stitt scored 15 points and Terrence Oglesby chipped in 10 off the bench for the Tigers, who scored the game's first 14 points.
Clemson shot 53 percent (33-of-62) from the floor and enjoyed a 40-11 edge on the glass.
Joe Ross Merritt scored 14 points to pace Samford, which has lost three of its last four contests and fell to 0-3 all-time against Clemson.
"Clemson is a good team and they are very well-coached," Samford coach Jimmy Tillette said. "The best thing that they did is that they out-recruited us three and four years ago.
"Clemson will without a doubt be the best team that we see this season. They have a lot of talent and a nice chemistry, but they are in a very difficult league."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAMFORD 20 25 45
CLEMSON (20) 43 35 78 FINAL
Dec 29 5:41 PM
- NCAA BB
(20) CLEMSON 43 HALFTIME
Dec 29 4:38 PM
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Coach: Clemson reserve guard Austin Ajukwa transferring Nov 3
- Clemson Preview Capsule Oct 26
- On The Road: Clemson spending all season away from home Oct 26
- Grant leads Notre Dame over Clemson Mar 7
- Irish set sights on Tigers in season finale Mar 7
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Duke demolishes Clemson without Okafor Feb 21
- Duke and Clemson clash in ACC action Feb 21
- Notre Dame survives scare at Clemson Feb 10
- 10th-ranked Irish seek turnaround against Tigers Feb 10