Washington State bounces back with win over Oregon StateJan 18, 2008 - 6:52 AM PULLMAN, Washington (Ticker) -- Washington State responded nicely from its first loss of the season.
Aron Baynes scored 17 points and Derrick Low added 15 as the eighth-ranked Cougars cruised to a 69-46 victory over Oregon State on Thursday night in a Pac-10 Conference matchup.
Taylor Rochestie finished with nine points and nine assists for Washington State (15-1, 3-1 Pac-10), which suffered an 81-74 loss to then-No. 5 UCLA on Sunday.
"We're good when we can have a balanced attack and when we take advantage of Baynes and even Robbie (Cowgill) down there," Cougars coach Tony Bennett said. "When Aron gets down low, he's a lot to handle."
With the Beavers holding a 9-7 edge after the first three minutes of the game, Rochestie made a pair of jump shots and sparked a 15-3 run for the Cougars.
Caleb Forrest capped the burst with a jump shot to give Washington State a 22-12 lead with 8:45 left in the half.
Leading by 10, Low and the Cougars did not let up at the start of the second half, scoring the first nine points - five by Low - after the break to take a 43-28 lead. The senior guard shot 6-of-9 from the floor and went 3-of-6 from the arc.
"The second half against UCLA, he established the right mind-set," Bennett said of Low. "He came out aggressive and we practiced that way all week and he came out and played that way today."
Washington State went on another burst later in the second half as 3-pointers by Daven Harmeling and Low highlighted a 10-0 run that made it 55-28 with 10:15 remaining.
Seth Tarver scored 12 points and his brother Josh Tarver added 10 with four steals for Oregon State (6-11, 0-5), which has lost seven straight games. The sophomores went a combined 8-of-13 from the field.
The Cougars shot 52 percent (27-of-52) from the field, while the Beavers made 42 percent (17-of-41) of their shots.
Kyle Weaver collected seven points and made four steals while Cowgill grabbed seven rebounds for Washington State, which outrebounded Oregon State, 33-17.
"They wanted the ball," Bennett said of his team's 13 offensive boards, "more of a mind-set to finish the play."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OREGON ST 24 22 46
WASHINGTON ST (8) 34 35 69 FINAL
Jan 17 11:41 PM
- NCAA BB
OREGON ST 24
(8) WASHINGTON ST 34 HALFTIME
Jan 17 10:45 PM
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Washington cruises past Division II Golden Eagles 74-57 Nov 25
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Washington State Cougars reject last place prediction Oct 28
- Washington St Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- Utah battles past Washington State Mar 6