Davis, defense lead Texas A&M to fourth straight winFeb 6, 2008 - 6:28 AM AMES, Iowa (Ticker) -- Bryan Davis scored 16 points and a stingy defense did the rest as No. 18 Texas A&M posted a 69-51 victory over Iowa State in a Big 12 Conference contest on Tuesday.
Davis scored 10 points during a key second-half run and Josh Carter added 12 as the Aggies (19-4, 5-3 Big 12) coasted to their fourth straight win.
Davis also grabbed seven rebounds to help the Aggies snap the Cyclones' nine-game home winning streak.
Since a thrilling 116-110 five-overtime loss to Baylor on January 23, the usually stout defense for Texas A&M has responded in a big way during its winning streak.
The Aggies entered this game allowing 57 points in the past three games, and limited Iowa State (13-10, 3-5) to 35 percent (21-of-59) from the floor.
"I thought the first half we executed our defensive game plan well enough to really keep us in the game," Iowa State coach Greg McDermott said. "Texas A&M plays well together and unselfish. We just had too many guys who finished 1-for-7 and 1-for-8 that had good looks at the basket."
Along with the solid defense, Texas A&M shot 47 percent (27-of-57) from the field and hit 11 of its first 14 shots to open the second half.
That solid shooting led to a 20-7 run that helped break open the game for Texas A&M, which picked up its second road win of the season. Davis had 10 points during the spurt.
The Aggies' only other road win was a 59-56 win over Oklahoma State on January 26, which came on the heels of that memorable loss to Baylor.
Texas A&M, which held a 30-24 lead after 20 minutes, opened up a 50-31 cushion after a jumper by Davis capped the run with 12:40 remaining.
Jiri Hubalek scored 18 points for the Cyclones, who trailed by double digits the rest of the way.
Texas A&M flexed its muscle on the boards, as it outrebounded Iowa State, 35-28, and had five players with at least six rebounds.
The Cyclones were competitive in the first half, but the Aggies closed the half on an 11-2 run to take a 30-24 lead into the locker room.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS A&M (18) 30 39 69
IOWA ST 24 27 51 FINAL
Feb 5 9:49 PM
- NCAA BB
(18) TEXAS A&M 30
IOWA ST 24 HALFTIME
Feb 5 8:45 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24