Saint Mary's stays perfect at homeFeb 9, 2008 - 6:42 AM MORAGA, California (Ticker) -- Saint Mary's continued its perfect run at home.
Yusef Smith led a balanced attack with 15 points, sparking the 23rd-ranked Gaels to a 76-51 rout of San Francisco in a West Coast Conference matchup Friday night.
Omar Samhan added 12 points and nine rebounds and Tron Smith had 12 points for Saint Mary's (20-3, 7-1 WCC), which improved to 14-0 at home and posted the fourth 20-win season in school history.
By completing a season sweep of the overmatched Dons (6-17, 2-6), the Gaels took over first place in the conference by one-half game over Gonzaga and San Diego.
Patrick Mills and Diamon Simpson each scored 10 points for St. Mary's, which registered a season-high 15 steals.
Mills had five of the steals as the Gaels harassed San Francisco into 20 turnovers that led to 28 points.
Saint Mary's pulled away from a 16-13 lead with a 23-9 run to go up 39-22 with 3:04 left in the half. Yusef Smith had seven points in the surge.
The hot-shooting Gaels connected on 59 percent (17-of-29) of their shots en route to taking a 44-29 halftime lead before breaking the game open at the outset of the second half.
Saint Mary's scored the first 12 points after the intermission, including back-to-back 3-pointers by Todd Golden and Ian O'Leary, to build a 56-29 cushion.
San Francisco, which fell to 2-9 under interim coach Eddie Sutton, was held scoreless for the first 6:12 of the second half.
Sophomore forward Dior Lowhorn was one of the few bright spots for the Dons, scoring 22 points on 10-of-20 shooting and grabbing 11 rebounds.
Manny Quezada, San Francisco's second-leading scorer at 15.0 points per game, was limited to just four points on 2-of-10 shooting.
- New San Francisco coach Kyle Smith seeks another turnaround Apr 1
- Kyle Smith new San Francisco basketball coach Mar 30
- San Francisco fires coach Rex Walters after 8 seasons Mar 9
- Gonzaga rallies to down San Francisco Mar 8
- Dons challenge Zags in WCC Tournament action Mar 7
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- Gonzaga holds off San Francisco Feb 8
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- No. 6 Gonzaga cruises past San Francisco Jan 9
- San Francisco hits road seeking upset of No. 6 Gonzaga Jan 8