Mills, stellar defense lead St. MarysFeb 17, 2008 - 7:02 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- The combination of freshman Patrick Mills and the 21st-ranked Saint Mary's defense was just too much for Loyola Marymount.
Mills scored 17 first-half points while the Gaels' defense held the Lions to just five field goals in the first half en route to an easy 80-49 victory Saturday night in West Coast Conference action.
Averaging 14.4 points on 43 percent shooting, Mills netted 6-of-8 shots, including 3-of-5 from the arc, in the opening 20 minutes. His sharpshooting helped St. Mary's (22-3, 9-1 WCC) to a commanding 39-22 halftime edge.
While Mills was filling the hoop with jumpers, Loyola Marymount couldn't find the basket. The Lions had just one field goal in the last 13:35 of the half. They finished the half 5-of-24 from the field.
St. Mary's defense kept up the pressure in the second half, holding Loyola scoreless for the first 4:49 while pulling away.
"Saint Mary's is a very good team and we just did not hit our shots," Loyola coach Rodney Tention said. "We have not learned how to execute when our backs get against the wall. The tougher team won tonight and we have to learn how to play tougher."
Mills, who scored 37 points on November 20 against Oregon, finished with 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting in 24 minutes. Diamon Simpson scored 12 points for the Gaels.
Orlando Johnson scored 14 points for the Lions (5-21, 2-8), who shot 26 percent (14-of-54) for the game.
"We did not run our offense as a cohesive unity," Tention said. "Against a team like Saint Mary's you have to execute as a team and we just didn't show enough trust in one another."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAINT MARYS CA (21) 39 41 80
LOYOLA MARYMNT 22 27 49 FINAL
Feb 17 12:55 AM
- NCAA BB
(21) SAINT MARYS CA 39
LOYOLA MARYMNT 22 HALFTIME
Feb 16 11:53 PM
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19