Georgetown rallies past ProvidenceFeb 19, 2008 - 12:14 AM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Just when it appeared Georgetown could be headed for a third loss in four games, the 11th-ranked Hoyas found a needed spark.
Jonathan Wallace hit three 3-pointers during a decisive second-half spurt as Georgetown posted a 68-58 victory over Providence in the Big East Conference on Monday.
The Hoyas (21-4, 11-3 Big East) entered Monday's contest tied for first place with Louisville.
But Georgetown was coming off a 77-70 loss at Syracuse, then found itself in trouble again against the Friars, who opened a 41-35 lead on Weyinmi Efejuku's 3-pointer with just under 16 minutes remaining.
The Hoyas turned around the game with their 3-point shooting that triggered a 17-2 spurt. Wallace converted a 3-pointer to tie the contest at 41-41, then followed with back-to-back shots from beyond the arc to stake the Hoyas to a 49-43 lead with 10:41 remaining.
Jeremiah Rivers added another 3-pointer - the Hoyas' fifth during the run - to push the lead to 52-43 with 9:25 left.
Roy Hibbert recorded 18 points and eight rebounds for Georgetown while Wallace finished with 14 points.
Efejuku kept Providence (13-13, 4-10) in the game with 25 points but his strong effort was not enough to prevent the Friars from suffering their fourth straight loss.
It marked the second straight game in which a second-half drought cost the Friars a shot at beating one of the Big East's leaders
On Saturday, Providence held a one-point lead over Louisville midway through the second half before the Cardinals took control with a 14-3 spurt en route to an 80-72 victory.
Georgetown only shot 40 percent from the field (26-of-65) but held the Friars to just 28 points in the second half.
The Friars rallied from an early seven-point deficit to take a 30-29 halftime lead, but Georgetown's inside strength also proved too much for Providence to handle in the second half.
The Hoyas outrebounded the Friars, 43-26, and maintained a 27-1 edge in second-chance points.
Brian McKenzie added 16 points for Providence, which experienced nearly a five-minute scoring drought in the second half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGETOWN (11) 29 39 68
PROVIDENCE 30 28 58 FINAL
Feb 18 6:02 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) GEORGETOWN 29
PROVIDENCE 30 HALFTIME
Feb 18 4:52 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31