Goods, Brook Lopez help Stanford hold off CaliforniaFeb 25, 2008 - 5:21 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Stanford opened its final homestand of the season in fine fashion on Sunday.
Anthony Goods scored 20 points and Brook Lopez added 15 and nine rebounds as ninth-ranked Stanford completed a season sweep of Pac-10 rival California with a 79-69 victory.
Robin Lopez chipped in 11 points for the Cardinal, who will host Washington and Washington State to wrap up its home schedule later this week.
The win moves Stanford (22-4, 11-3 Pac-10) to within one game of UCLA (24-3, 12-2) for first place in the conference. The Cardinal visit the Bruins on March 6.
California scored the game's first three points before Stanford answered with 11 straight to grab an 11-3 lead less than four minutes into the contest.
The Cardinal added to their lead and took its largest advantage at 28-12 on Robin Lopez's tip-in with 7:53 left before intermission.
But California answered with a 13-0 burst to close within three and the Bears only trailed, 33-29, at the break.
Robin Lopez scored four points during a 9-2 run that gave Stanford a 46-37 lead early in the second half, but California refused to go away and cut the deficit to 52-51 on a 3-pointer by Jerome Randle with 9:56 remaining.
Stanford pushed its lead up to five before Ryan Anderson's 3-pointer brought the Bears back within 62-60 with 5:25 to play.
The Bears (15-10, 6-8) stayed within striking distance but never took the lead and Stanford finally started to pull away with a 10-2 run - highlighted by a baseline dunk from Brook Lopez - to take a 74-64 lead with 1:33 to play.
Patrick Christopher scored 15 points and Ryan Anderson added 15 and 11 rebounds for the Bears, who made just 4-of-15 shots from the arc.
The Pac-10's leading scorer, Anderson was held scoreless in the first half and shot just 2-of-13 from the floor. The 6-9 sophomore made all 10 of his free throw attempts.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CALIFORNIA 29 40 69
STANFORD (9) 33 46 79 FINAL
Feb 24 11:06 PM
- NCAA BB
(9) STANFORD 33 HALFTIME
Feb 24 9:50 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7