Hummel, Purdue cruise by DetroitNov 15, 2008 - 7:23 AM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- The same balanced attack Purdue used on its way to a breakout campaign last season was on display again Friday.
Robbie Hummel had 14 points and nine rebounds to lead the 10th-ranked Boilermakers past Detroit, 82-50.
Purdue (1-0), which returns its starting five from last season's 25-win squad, also got 18 points off the bench from E'Twaun Moore while JaJuan Johnson added 17.
"I just try to find open spots in the defense and I know these guys will find me," Johnson said. "I've just got to continue to stay active and run the floor; these guys are unselfish, they'll find me."
The trio is joined by Keaton Grant, who struggled on 3-of-11 shooting for nine points, to form a roster that enters the season with Big Ten and national title expectations.
Hummel was voted the preseason Big Ten Player of the Year after averaging 11.4 points and 6.1 rebounds a game during his freshman campaign.
With the Titans (0-1) trailing, 24-17, with 7:17 left in the opening half after a jumper by Thomas Kennedy, the Boilermakers went on a 16-5 run to enter the break leading, 40-22.
The Boilermakers were outrebounded, 41-36, but knocked down eight 3-pointers while holding the Titans to just 33 percent (17-of-52) shooting from the field.
Purdue shared the ball effectively, dishing out 20 assists on 28 made field goals while only committing three turnovers.
"I've never experienced that," Detroit coach Ray McCallum said of the way Purdue protected the ball. "Their sureness with the basketball at this time of the year, even though we couldn't pressure them, it didn't matter. They're so confident with the ball."
Kennedy paced Detroit with 17 points and eight rebounds and Eulis Stephens scored 12.
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Purdue at a glance Oct 27
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27
- Cincinnati edges Purdue in OT thriller Mar 20