Werner, Hodge lead Florida past BradleyNov 17, 2008 - 4:22 AM GAINESVILLE, Florida (Ticker) -- A deeper 3-point line is not forcing the Florida Gators to shy away from heaving it up from behind the arc with success early on this season.
Dan Werner and Walter Hodge led a potent 3-point attack with 17 points apiece as 19th-ranked Florida beat Bradley, 81-58, on Sunday in the CBE Classic.
Nick Calathes added 13 points and six rebounds for the Gators. They will face Syracuse in a semifinal matchup in Kansas City on November 24.
Hodge knocked down five of his nine attempts from behind the arc and Werner sank another four 3-pointers as Florida shot 45 percent (14-of-31) from deep.
"We would have liked to do a little bit more in around the basket, but with the way I think Bradley played defensively, it really opened up for us to shoot the ball," Florida coach Billy Donovan told the Gainesville Sun. "We won the game today because of the 3-point line."
The Gators (2-0) knocked down seven from behind the arc in Friday's win over Toledo and used the 3-point shot to thwart a second half rally from the Braves.
Bradley (1-1) entered the half trailing, 42-25, but Chris Roberts knocked down consecutive threes as the Braves opened the second half with a 10-1 run to cut the deficit to eight.
The Gators' lead was nine with just under 11 minutes to go when the 3-point barrage began.
"We had some miscues," Bradley coach Jim Les told the newspaper. "Some were forced, some were not forced. As good teams do, they capitalized on all of those and got hot."
Erving Walker knocked down a pair of threes while Werner and Calathes each sank shots from behind the arc as part of a 16-4 run to put the game away.
"We're not going to be a team that dumps it into the post, but I think there are still some things we can do with dribble penetration and spacing," Donovan told the newspaper. "We are doing a good job getting to the free-throw line, which is somewhat encouraging."
Florida held a 36-26 rebounding edge, including 16-6 on the offensive glass.
Dodie Dunson had 15 points and Roberts added 13 for Bradley.
- CBE CLASSIC
NCAA BB CBE CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BRADLEY 25 33 58
FLORIDA (19) 42 39 81 FINAL
Nov 16 4:16 PM
- CBE CLASSIC
NCAA BB BRADLEY 25
(19) FLORIDA 42 HALFTIME
Nov 16 3:13 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18