Harangody leads Notre Dame to another home winNov 17, 2008 - 5:50 AM SOUTH BEND, Indiana (Ticker) -- One game into the season, Notre Dame already has tied a school record.
Luke Harangody had 30 points and 14 rebounds as ninth-ranked Notre Dame tied a school record with its 38th straight home win in a 94-58 victory over USC Upstate on Sunday.
Luke Zeller scored 18 points and Zach Hillesland had 13 for the Fighting Irish (1-0), who also won 38 straight home games from December 11, 1943-February 9, 1948.
"Well it was a good start for us," Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said. "(USC Upstate) really took away our perimeter and weren't going to help much. We also got a bunch of transition and that's something I didn't think we did well in the exhibition, but our big guys will run a lot more now because they all got rewarded by running."
The Spartans (0-2) hung in with the Fighting Irish for much of the first half, but Notre Dame took control before intermission.
Harangody scored the first five points of a 10-2 run over the final 3:31 of the half as the Fighting Irish surged to a 44-33 lead at the break.
Notre Dame carried that momentum over to the second half as Harangody scored eight points during a 15-2 burst to give the Fighting Irish a 59-35 advantage with 17:04 remaining. USC Upstate never threatened again.
"They have so many guys that can make shots," Spartans coach Eddie Payne said. "They have a great inside-outside presence. There are certain guys you can't leave but then you leave Harangody 1-on-1 in the post. I am very impressed with this team. They make you pay every time you make a mistake."
The Fighting Irish shot 51 percent (34-of-67) from the field, including 7-of-15 from the arc. Point guard Tory Jackson had eight of Notre Dame's 25 assists.
"They are very conscious of (assists) and very conscious that they led the nation last year," Brey said. "It's something that I think is the one identifying factor when you think about our program right now."
The reigning Big East Player of the Year, Harangody shot 12-of-21 from the field, which included his fourth career 3-pointer.
Bobby Davis scored 14 points to lead the Spartans (0-2).
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17