Hansbrough returns as UNC beats pesky Santa BarbaraNov 22, 2008 - 7:33 AM SANTA BARBARA, California (Ticker) -- Tyler Hansbrough made his season debut and had 13 points and seven rebounds as top-ranked North Carolina posted an 84-67 victory over pesky Santa Barbara on Friday.
Ty Lawson led six Tar Heels in double figures with 19 points and Wayne Ellington added 17 for North Carolina (3-0), which will participate in the Maui Invitational next week.
Last season's consensus National Player of the Year, Hansbrough returned after missing the first two games of his collegiate career with a stress reaction in his right shin. He shot 2-of-8 from the floor but made 9-of-10 from the foul line in 25 minutes.
With "The Thunderdome" rocking on every possession, Santa Barbara hung tough early on.
Paul Roemer made a pair of 3-pointers during an 11-0 run and the Gauchos held a 27-22 lead with 8:31 left in the first half.
Lawson answered with consecutive shots from the arc of his own and North Carolina established control with a 13-0 burst to take a 35-27 lead with five minutes left in the half. The Tar Heels carried a 45-37 advantage into the locker rooms.
A 7-0 burst early in the second half extended North Carolina's lead to 60-48, but Santa Barbara cut the deficit back down to seven on Sam Phippen's jumper with 10:53 remaining.
That would be as close as the Gauchos could get as the Tar Heels put the game out of reach with another 7-0 run late in the second half, giving North Carolina a 76-59 bulge with 2:32 remaining.
Deon Thompson had 12 points and 10 rebounds, Danny Green scored 11 and freshman Ed Davis added 10 for the Tar Heels.
North Carolina outrebounded Santa Barbara, 40-28, and forced 21 turnovers.
James Nunnally scored 22 points to lead Santa Barbara (1-2), which played a home game against the No. 1 team for the first time since 1991. Jesse Byrd was the only other Gauchos player in double figures with 12 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA (1) 45 39 84
UC SNTA BARBARA 37 30 67 FINAL
Nov 22 12:05 AM
- NCAA BB
(1) NORTH CAROLINA 45
UC SNTA BARBARA 37 HALFTIME
Nov 21 10:55 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29