Syracuse stays perfect, blasts ColgateDec 2, 2008 - 5:15 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Paul Harris scored 22 points and 20th-ranked Syracuse extended its unbeaten start to the season with a 86-51 triumph over Colgate on Monday.
Rick Jackson added 10 points and 10 rebounds off the bench and Jonny Flynn collected 12 points and seven assists as the Orange improved to 7-0 on the season.
Syracuse has racked up impressive wins to open the campaign, with victories over Florida and defending champion Kansas in the CBE Classic.
But it was not tested in its matchup with the Raiders of the Patriot League, jumping out to a 17-2 lead 4:42 into the opening half. Harris and Flynn combined for 15 points during the run as the Orange scored on seven of their first eight possessions.
"I thought we came out and did a really nice job defensively in the first half," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "We were focused as well as we could be. I just think we were sharp coming off the games we just had to play. Our concentration was real good, we moved the ball real well and our defense was outstanding."
Colgate (2-3) made just 5-of-29 (17 percent) field goal attempts in the first half as the Orange took a 43-13 lead into the break. Syracuse shot 54 percent (19-of-35) in the opening 20 minutes while collecting 12 assists.
"It all starts with the point guard and he's pressuring the ball and has been playing outstanding defense," Boeheim said of Flynn. "He's scored when we need him to, he's made some good plays and he's definitely off to a great start."
The Raiders did not have a player score in double digits. Mike Venezia led the Raiders with eight points while Alex Woodhouse had seven blocks.
Arinze Onuaku had 10 points and six rebounds as the Orange played the second of six consecutive home games following their tournament championship in Kansas City.
"You definitely need something like this after last week," Flynn said. "There was a whole lot of energy used last week, but I think we just came out well and did what we were supposed to do. Today the team was very pass first and very unselfish."
Syracuse does not play the road again until a December 15 date with Memphis.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
COLGATE 13 38 51
SYRACUSE (20) 43 43 86 FINAL
Dec 1 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
(20) SYRACUSE 43 HALFTIME
Dec 1 7:52 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25