Purdue buries Davidson with quick startDec 21, 2008 - 12:46 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Davidson got in such a huge hole on Saturday that even Stephen Curry couldn't shoot the Wildcats out of it.
Purdue got a big game from Robbie Hummel and Curry had an off day as the 18th-ranked Boilermakers rolled to a 76-58 victory over No. 20 Davidson.
The Boilermakers (9-2) got off to a fast start, opening up a 25-2 lead. Curry and the Wildcats (8-2) could not buy a basket in the early going and Purdue led 25-8 when the junior sharpshooter finally hit his first field goal with 9:48 left in the first half.
Hummel scored 18 points and grabbed 15 rebounds for Purdue. He was 6-of-11 from the field and added four assists.
Curry shot 6-of-25 from the field and finished with 13 points. He entered the game averaging 31.9 points per game, but was 2-of-12 from the arc and committed six turnovers.
Hummel had plenty of help as Keaton Grant scored 15 points, JaJuan Johnson scored 14 and E'Twaun Moore added 11 for the Boilermakers.
Will Archambault scored 13 points and Andrew Lovedale scored 10 for Davidson (8-2), which will likely be the class of the Southern Conference and suffered its other setback at Oklahoma.
Purdue led 21-0 about seven minutes into the game before Davidson finally got on the scoreboard on a layup by Lovedale.
The Boilermakers never let up and hit 7-of-11 3-pointers in the first half to open up a 47-24 lead. Davidson shot 26 percent (10-of-38) from the field in the opening 20 minutes.
- WOODEN CLASSIC
NCAA BB WOODEN CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DAVIDSON (20) 24 34 58
PURDUE (18) 47 29 76 FINAL
Dec 20 6:02 PM
- WOODEN CLASSIC
NCAA BB (20) DAVIDSON 24
(18) PURDUE 47 HALFTIME
Dec 20 5:06 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Purdue at a glance Oct 27
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27
- White dominates as Iowa downs Davidson Mar 21