Memphis looks to pass test vs. CincinnatiDec 29, 2008 - 3:00 PM Cincinnati (10-2) at No. 24 Memphis (9-3) 9:00 p.m. EST
MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Memphis has failed in its three attempts for a marquee win after falling in the national championship game last season.
While Monday's contest against Cincinnati would not be an upset, it would provide a resume builder for the 24th-ranked Tigers.
Memphis' three losses have come by single digits to a pair of ranked teams, Georgetown and Syracuse, and always tough Xavier. It bounced back from its latest defeat against the Orange with a blowout win over Drexel.
Tyreke Evans led five players in double figures with 20 points as the Tigers cruised to a 19-point halftime lead en route to a 87-49 win.
With games against Tennessee and Gonzaga sprinkled among its Conference USA schedule, the Tigers still have chances to earn signature wins.
Cincinnati has also struggled when tested so far this season, dropping contests to Florida State and then-ninth-ranked Xavier.
The Bearcats blasted Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 79-49, last Monday. Deonta Vaughn, Yancy Gates and Steve Toyloy scored 14 points apiece, outscoring the Golden Lions 43-16 in the opening 20 minutes.
Cincinnati opens Big East play January 4 at 24th-ranked Marquette.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CINCINNATI 22 23 45
MEMPHIS 30 30 60 FINAL
Dec 29 11:17 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS 30 HALFTIME
Dec 29 10:01 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Still-unbeaten Kentucky grinds out win over Cincinnati Mar 21
- Bearcats on tap to test undefeated Wildcats Mar 21