Strong second half helps Villanova smother TowsonNov 29, 2008 - 6:34 AM PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- Scottie Reynolds had 14 points, six rebounds and six assists as No. 20 Villanova used a strong second half to defeat Towson, 64-47, in the Philly Hoop Group Classic on Friday.
Dante Cunningham and Antonio Pena each recorded 12 points and seven rebounds for the Wildcats (5-0), who will play Rhode Island on Saturday.
Villanova led by as many as nine during the first half but failed to maintain any separation.
The Wildcats shot 47 percent (11-of-23) in the opening 20 minutes but only held a 33-28 lead at the break on Corey Fisher's 3-pointer just before the halftime buzzer.
The second half was a different story as Villanova went on a 13-2 run to open the half and take a 46-30 lead with 13:25 remaining.
Towson did not make a shot after the break until there was 11:57 left in the contest and Villanova built the lead up to 54-34 with 7:16 left to play.
The Tigers, who only made 6-of-14 from the free-throw line, could get no closer than 14 the rest of the way.
The Wildcats, who had a 39-27 rebounding advantage, held the Tigers to 28 percent (7-of-25) shooting over the game's final 20 minutes.
Reynolds, who came into the game shooting 30 percent from the field, was 5-of-9 from the floor and made a season-high three 3-pointers.
Junior Hairston scored 11 points to lead Towson (3-2), which shot 5-of-27 from the arc.
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Villanova trying to put early NCAA losses in past Mar 17
- Villanova finds March failures trump Big East title triumphs Mar 14