Harden, Arizona State hammer Jackson StateDec 5, 2008 - 5:26 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- James Harden scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds as Arizona State crushed Jackson State, 81-60, on Thursday.
The 19th-ranked Sun Devils (6-1) broke the game open with a 26-8 spurt that made it 34-16 with 4:51 left in the half and cruised from there.
Harden went 7-of-10 from the field en route to another strong offensive effort.
"The first couple games, it was minor adjustments with my form," Harden told The Arizona Republic. "All of them felt real good. They'd rattle in and out. Some of them were at the end of the shot clock. I wasn't really worried. Once I got an open look, I was confident in knocking it down."
Jeff Pendergraph had 19 points and Rihards Kuksiks added 16.
The closest the Tigers came was 54-43 shortly after Harden was saddled with his fourth personal foul.
The rest of the Sun Devils picked up the slack, however, as Pendergraph jammed home a feed from Derek Glasser, Kuksiks hit a 3-pointer, and Eric Boateng and Jeren Shipp added jumpers to complete a 9-0 run that made it 63-43 with nine minutes left.
"That was a real silver lining tonight," Arizona State coach Herb Sendek told The Republic. "That was a real positive for us. Not that we want to be in that position where we have to have him on the bench in foul trouble."
The Sun Devils shot 57 percent from the field (28-of-49) while holding Jackson State to 39 percent (22-of-57).
The Tigers (1-7) were led by Garrison Johnson with 21 points. Jackson State is winless in its last eight road games and has lost 12 straight non-conference contests.
Still, Sendek sees room for improvement for Arizona State.
"Once again, our basketball team has a tremendous amount of work to do," he told the paper.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
JACKSON ST 26 34 60
ARIZONA ST (19) 42 39 81 FINAL
Dec 4 10:46 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 26
(19) ARIZONA ST 42 HALFTIME
Dec 4 9:48 PM
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- Hurley trying to make the pieces fit at Arizona State Sep 30
- ASU hires Duke legend Hurley as head coach Apr 9
- ASU fires Sendek Mar 24
- Utah routs Arizona State with dominant first half Feb 27
- Pac-12 action pits Utes against Sun Devils Feb 26