Randle leads Cal past Arizona StateJan 5, 2009 - 5:16 AM BERKELEY, California (Ticker) -- Jerome Randle scored 26 points to lead California to an 81-71 victory over No. 14 Arizona State on Sunday night.
Randle added 10 assists for the Golden Bears (13-2, 2-0 Pac-10), who won their seventh straight game.
James Harden had 26 points and eight rebounds for Arizona State (12-2, 1-1), which had won eight straight entering the game and was coming off a 30-point rout of previously undefeated Stanford on Friday.
"The kids really played hard," Cal coach Mike Montgomery said. "Arizona State is really a good team. Harden is good, had the ball in his hands every single time. We didn't have the answer to him, necessarily, but we made him work. We felt like we didn't want (Jeff) Pendergraph to go off on us, so we tried to do the best we could on (James) Harden."
Patrick Christopher added 20 points for Cal, which completed a sweep over the Arizona schools to open conference play after a 69-55 victory over Arizona on Friday night.
"This just means we did a nice job, we held homecourt," Montgomery said. "We want to compete every night out. We're going to take our chances. We had to see if we could compete, and I think we can if we do the things we did tonight."
Jeff Pendergraph and Rihards Kuksiks each scored 16 points for Arizona State.
"The biggest key: we had a hard time getting stops," Arizona State coach Herb Sendek said. "They really took us apart. They're a very difficult team to defend, and we just didn't have the answers we needed on the defensive end of the floor tonight. They're quick and they're skilled."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARIZONA ST (14) 37 34 71
CALIFORNIA 37 44 81 FINAL
Jan 4 9:57 PM
- NCAA BB
(14) ARIZONA ST 37
CALIFORNIA 37 HALFTIME
Jan 4 9:10 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23