St. Mary's blitzes San DiegoJan 23, 2009 - 7:02 AM SAN DIEGO (Ticker) -- Saint Mary's didn't give the University of San Diego a prayer on Thursday.
The 22nd-ranked Gaels blew out the Toreros, 65-42, in a West Coast Conference game and ran their winning streak to 15 games. It is the longest active streak in the nation.
San Diego (12-8, 4-1 WCC) came into the game 4-0 in the conference and that mark was quickly blemished as Saint Mary's played electric basketball in roaring to a 32-14 halftime lead.
Less than four minutes into the contest, any doubt was erased as the Gaels were up 13-2. They kept the momentum rolling, using a 13-3 run to open a 30-10 advantage that was capped by a 3-pointer by Clint Steindl off an assist from Patrick Mills with 2:35 left in the half.
The second half provided little more than extended garbage time as St. Mary's (18-1, 5-0) continued its basketball clinic against a foe that came into the game tied with the Gaels for first place in the conference.
Omar Samhan had 16 points on 8-of-9 shooting and pulled down 11 rebounds for the Gaels. Mills, who runs the show, had 15 points and five assists.
A native of Australia, Mills has reached double figures in 23 consecutive games.
The Gaels hit 56 percent of their shots (25-of-45), including 7-of-16 from long range. St. Mary's also dominated the boards, doubling up San Diego, 36-18.
Next up for the Gaels, who are on a three-game road trip, is a key conference clash against always tough Gonzaga on January 29.
The Toreros, who had a six-game winning streak snapped, were paced by De'Jon Jackson with 15 points.
San Diego had an awful night from the field, hitting only 17-of-53 (32 percent) and was actually more on from outside the arc, going 6-of-15.
Trumaine Johnson scored 11 points, but no other Torero had more than six.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAINT MARYS CA (22) 32 33 65
SAN DIEGO 14 28 42 FINAL
Jan 22 10:46 PM
- NCAA BB
(22) SAINT MARYS CA 32
SAN DIEGO 14 HALFTIME
Jan 22 9:46 PM
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30
- Toreros host Bulldogs in WCC action Dec 29
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20