Stanford continues Arizona State's late-season swoonMar 6, 2009 - 6:41 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Landry Fields scored 19 points and Anthony Good had 15 as Stanford posted its first Pac-10 Conference road win of the season with a 74-64 victory over Arizona State on Thursday.
Lawrence Hill added 13 points, Kenny Brown chipped in 12 for the Cardinal (16-12, 6-11 Pac-10), who have won two straight since a four-game losing streak. Stanford is 1-7 away from home in conference play.
It was the season-high, third straight loss for the Sun Devils (21-8, 10-7), who got off to a horrible start and only led when they opened the scoring with a free throw.
"I don't think we played well in any category," Arizona State coach Herb Sendek told the Arizona Republic.
"We struggled to score. We struggled to make shots. Even the most open shots of the night seemingly hit the rim and clanged out. To a degree, we allowed that to spill over onto the defensive end."
Arizona State missed its first six shots and committed five turnovers before finally connecting from the field on a James Harden layup with 11:55 to play in the first half.
The Cardinal led by as much as 25-13 before settling for a 32-26 advantage at the break.
However, that would be as close as Arizona State could get as Stanford scored the first eight points of the second half and maintained an advantage of at least seven the rest of the way.
Kenny Brown's 3-pointer from the right corner gave the Cardinal a 61-47 bulge with 3:55 to play and Stanford went 9-of-10 from the foul line in the final two minutes to seal the victory.
Stanford had lost the first meeting, 90-60, on January 2.
Harden scored 22 points and Jeff Pendergraph had 15 and 11 rebounds to pace the Sun Devils, who made 8-of-29 from the arc.
"We're kind of at the bottom right now," Pendergraph told the newspaper. "Losing is not good. I haven't lost this many in a row in a while. As a team we're disappointed in how we're playing right now, because this isn't us. Three in a row? It doesn't make any sense."
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18