Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 yearApr 12, 2016 - 5:57 PM Deyonta Davis is entering the NBA draft after one season at Michigan State, jumping at a chance to fulfill his dream.
The school announced Davis' decision Tuesday. He is projected to be a first-round pick June 23.
''This has been a great year for me at Michigan State, including a memorable trip to Italy, being a part of the best start in school history and winning the Big Ten Tournament,'' Davis said. ''I will always be a Spartan and look forward to coming back to campus like so many other pros do now.''
The 6-foot-10, 240-pound forward scored 7.5 points and grabbed 5.5 rebounds per game as a valuable big man on a balanced team. Davis averaged nearly two blocks a game and finished with 64, setting a freshman mark at the school and ranking second for a single season by any player for the Spartans.
''I've been fortunate to live my dreams, but the real thrill as a coach is getting to see my players live their dreams,'' coach Tom Izzo said. ''I look forward to following Deyonta's development and career in the NBA for years to come.''
Davis is leaving a day after highly touted recruit Josh Jackson announced he wasn't coming to Michigan State, choosing to commit to Kansas. He departs with seniors Denzel Valentine, Matt Costello and Bryn Forbes along with transfers Marvin Clark and Javon Bess.
Izzo has replenished his roster with one of the top recruiting classes in the nation and perhaps his best in his 21-year career as a head coach.
Miles Bridges, Joshua Langford, Cassius Winston and Nick Ward, all of whom are ranked among the top 50 high school seniors, signed last fall. The four freshmen will join seniors Eron Harris, Gavin Schilling and Alvin Ellis, junior Lourawls Nairn and sophomores Matt McQuaid, Kenny Goins and Kyle Ahrens.
Follow Larry Lage at http://www.twitter.com/larrylage and follow his work at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/larry-lage
This story has been corrected to reflect Javon Bess, not Alvin Ellis, is transferring.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16