No. 12 Texas beats Texas-San Antonio 71-60Nov 14, 2009 - 4:17 AM AUSTIN, Texas(AP) -- Brittainey Raven was suspended for the first half of Texas' season opener against Texas-San Antonio because she overslept and missed a class this week.
She returned in time to wake up the Longhorns.
Raven scored 11 points and No. 12 Texas rallied for a 71-60 victory Friday night.
"I did oversleep, but as a captain, leader, and a senior, I should have gotten up and gone to class," Raven said. "I apologized to my teammates and it will not happen again."
Ashley Gayle had 12 points and six rebounds for the Longhorns. Ashleigh Fontenette added 10 points and five assists.
With Raven on the sideline for missing a class this week, Texas trailed 31-28 at halftime. But she entered at the 17:56 mark and helped spark a 25-11 run in the first 10 minutes of the second half.
"Brittainey does a great job creating shots for herself, and for others," Texas coach Gail Goestenkors said. "She is great at finding the shooters on the floor."
Amber Gregg had 12 points for Roadrunners (0-1), who shot just 28 percent in the second half. Ashleigh Franklin had 10 points and 12 rebounds and Whitney York also scored 10.
"Texas played extremely well in the second half," UTSA coach Rae Rippetoe-Blair said. "Their zone definitely bothered us. We could not get a shot off."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (12) 71 FINAL
Nov 13 10:06 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (12) 28 HALFTIME
Nov 13 8:59 PM
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20
- Muscular No. 10 Missouri's size a concern for No. 2 Texas Mar 20
- Big 3rd quarter sends Texas over Alabama State 86-42 Mar 20
- Alabama St.-Texas Preview Mar 18
- NM State women breeze by Rio Grande Valley for WAC title Mar 12