Keisha Hampton leads DePaul over C. Michigan 86-76Nov 14, 2009 - 5:55 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- On a night when No. 17 DePaul struggled to score from the field, second chances saved the Blue Demons, who grabbed 23 offensive rebounds to defeat Central Michigan 86-76 Friday night.
Keisha Hampton led the way for the Blue Demons in the season opener for both teams, scoring 23 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. The preseason All-Big East forward had some help in the backcourt as Deirdre Naughton added 19 points, one point shy of becoming the 23rd player in school history to score 1,000 career points.
Shonda Long led the Chippewas with a game-high 30 points, followed by Brittany Houghton with 18.
DePaul had a clear advantage in the paint, outrebounding a smaller Central Michigan team 49-31. Trailing by four at the half and by as many as 13 points late in the second half, Central Michigan rallied to within six points with just under two minutes to play.
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- Buffalo women advance to first-ever NCAA Tournament Mar 12
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- No. 21 DePaul women roll to 78-52 win over Creighton Feb 21