No. 4 North Carolina tops UNLV 78-68Nov 23, 2009 - 1:19 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Italee Lucas made a triumphant return home to Las Vegas.
She scored 24 points to help No. 4 North Carolina beat UNLV 78-68 on Sunday.
"She had a great year last year and I think she'll have a great year this year," North Carolina coach Sylvia Hatchell said. "She fits our style and I let her do a lot of her stuff that probably a lot of other coaches wouldn't. But she's really grown and matured as a player in her decision making, and she's an outstanding shooter. She just brings a lot of energy out there."
Lucas scored seven of the Tar Heels' first 11 points during the second half. Then, after missing two free throws with 1:19 left, the junior scored off her own offensive rebound to give North Carolina a 74-66 lead.
"I'm just really excited that it (the victory) was in front of my fans and my family," said Lucas. "They got a chance to see me on (something) other than TV."
Hatchell had to take Lucas out of the game, though, when she re-injured her knee with just under one minute left.
"Before this game I've been having knee problems," Lucas said. "This is my second game actually playing. It's fine; I just tweaked it a little bit.
Cetera DeGraffenreid, who converted on all 10 of her free throws, followed with 22 points for the Tar Heels.
"Cetera runs the show for us, does a great job," Hatchell said. "I ran a lot of kids and you can tell with the minutes. We're still, at times, lost out there, but we'll continue to get better."
Chay Shegog and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt each had 11 rebounds for the Tar Heels (3-0).
Jamie Smith led the Lady Rebels (2-2) with 17 points and 18 rebounds. Kelli Thompson added 15 points. The Lady Rebels came within four points of the lead in the first half and closed within five points twice during the final five minutes of the game.
"They went up and down the floor with us," Hatchell said. "I thought they shot the ball really, really well. Kathy's (UNLV coach Kathy Olivier is) doing a great job here and they're going to be really good."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (4) 78
UNLV 68 FINAL
Nov 22 7:07 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (4) 48
UNLV 43 HALFTIME
Nov 22 5:49 PM
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28
- UNC advances past Buckeyes on buzzer beater Mar 23
- Tar Heels get past Liberty on their home floor Mar 21
- UNC's Hatchell resumes coaching duties May 5