Orsillo leads Arizona State over Idaho StateDec 5, 2009 - 3:12 AM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Danielle Orsillo scored 18 points and No. 15 Arizona State pulled away in the second half for a 65-56 victory over Idaho State on Friday night in the ASU Classic.
The Sun Devils (5-1) overcame a cold-shooting start to win their third straight and reach Saturdays championship game against the winner of the game between Pepperdine and Utah State.
Oana Iacovita had 15 points, five rebounds and three assists to lead Idaho State (1-7).
The teams combined to shoot 34.7 percent (17 of 49) from the field in the first half which ended with the Sun Devils leading 22-20. Arizona State missed 13 of its first 19 shots but got the lead for good when Orsillo scored on a fast break and then hit a 3-pointer late in the first half.
In the second half, Becca Tobin scored four of her 10 points during an 11-4 run that broke a tie and gave Arizona State a 44-37 lead with 7:59 left.
The Sun Devils shut out the Bengals' second-leading scorer, Chelsea Pickering, who came into the game averaging 9.8 points. She took just two shots before fouling out with 7:59 to play.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
IDAHO ST 56
ARIZONA ST (15) 65 FINAL
Dec 4 10:05 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
IDAHO ST 20
ARIZONA ST (15) 22 HALFTIME
Dec 4 8:54 PM
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- Idaho women advance to 3rd NCAA Tournament in 4 years Mar 12
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21
- Brunner, No. 9 Arizona State cruise past Washingtom Feb 19
- Brunner beats buzzer in OT, No. 9 Arizona St beats Stanford Feb 15