USC rallies to beat No. 19 Arizona StateJan 1, 2010 - 11:28 PM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Briana Gilbreath scored 16 points and Heather Oliver added 14 to help Southern California overcome a nine-point deficit in the final 3:14 for a 60-56 victory over No. 19 Arizona State in the Pac-10 opener Friday.
Gilbreath's layup gave USC its first lead, 57-56, with 51.2 seconds remaining, and Ashley Corral hit three free throws in the final 22.4 seconds as the Trojans broke a five-game losing streak at Wells Fargo Arena.
Oliver, a senior from Victoria, Australia, tied a season-high with four 3-point field goals, all in the final 7:08.
Danielle Orsillo scored 16 points and Becca Tobin tied her career high with 13 rebounds for Arizona State (8-4), which lost for the first time this season to an unranked team.
Hailey Dunham had 12 points for USC (7-5), which won despite being outrebounded, 40-28.
Tobin had nine points and Alex Earl had seven for the Sun Devils, who had won nine of the previous 11 games in the series. Tenaya Wilson scored on a layup with 8:10 remaining to give Arizona State a 47-39 lead, but that is when Oliver took over.
Her first three closed USC's deficit to five, 47-42, and after Arizona State spurted back ahead by nine on Tobins reverse layup with 4:50 reminaing, Oliver made three 3-pointers on USCs next four possessions. Her three with 1:40 remaining made it 56-53.
After an ASU turnover, Gilbreath made two free throws, and after another Sun Devils miscue Gilbreath took a touch-pass from Ashley Corral for a layup and a 57-56 lead.
Kayli Murphy missed two free throws on Arizona State's next possession, and the Sun Devils missed 3-pointers on their final two possessions.
ASU had 23 turnovers and has committed at least 21 in four of its last five games.
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- Weisner helps No. 8 Oregon State turn back USC 63-53 Mar 5
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Trojan women beat Washington State 77-73 in Pac 12 tourney Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21
- No. 7 Oregon State uses strong 3rd quarter to beat USC 76-52 Feb 20