No. 22 West Virginia beats Pittsburgh 63-59Jan 6, 2010 - 2:42 AM MORGANTOWN, W.Va.(AP) -- Liz Repella scored all 16 of her points in the second half, and No. 22 West Virginia won its 12th straight, outlasting Pittsburgh 63-59 on Tuesday night.
Repella made two free throws with 6.3 seconds left to put the Mountaineers (14-1, 2-0 Big East) up by four points. The winning streak is West Virginia's longest since winning 22 straight during the 1991-92 season.
Down 27-26, Repella made her first field goal and gave the Mountaineers their first lead of the second half. Her first 3-pointer with 14:33 left ignited a 12-5 run.
Jania Sims scored a career-high 28 points on 11-of-19 shooting from the field for Pittsburgh (11-4, 0-2).
Pitt pulled within two points after Sims made two free throws with 15.7 seconds remaining, but West Virginia made four straight free throws, the last two by Repella, to seal the victory.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (22) 63 FINAL
Jan 5 9:12 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (22) 21 HALFTIME
Jan 5 7:52 PM
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- Butler leads No. 23 Syracuse women past Pittsburgh 70-56 Feb 21