No. 22 WVU rallies late, beats DePaul in OTJan 9, 2010 - 10:06 PM MORGANTOWN, W.Va.(AP) -- Asya Bussie scored 16 points and No. 22 West Virginia needed a late second-half rally to beat DePaul 64-57 in overtime on Saturday.
With 1.9 seconds left in regulation, West Virginia's Korinne Campbell made the first of two free throws to send the game into overtime and the Mountaineers (15-1, 3-0 Big East) allowed the Blue Demons (12-5, 1-2) only four points in the extra period to secure the victory. Bussie scored four of her points in OT, including a layup to start a 6-0 run to begin the extra session.
The win was West Virginia's 13th straight, the most since the Mountaineers strung together 22 in-a-row during the 1991-1992 season.
Leading 53-52, DePaul's Keisha Hampton missed a short jumper with 15 seconds remaining in regulation and WVU grabbed the rebound. Bussie missed a short layup but Campbell grabbed the board and was fouled shooting.
It looked as if DePaul was going to run away with the game after Maureen Mulchrone's layup made it 45-35 with just over 10 minutes to play. But Liz Repella knocked down a 3-pointer from the wing and then scrapped out a defensive board that led to Vanessa House's layup to cut the lead to five.
DePaul extended its lead to eight with 6:17 after Sam Quigley's jumper made it 51-43, but the Mountaineers gradually cut into the margin behind a defense that allowed the Blue Demons only two more points in regulation.
For the second straight game, Repella was held scoreless in the first half. But WVUs leading scorer at 15.5 points per game found her stroke in the second half, scoring 10.
Quigley scored 15 and Keisha Hampton added 14 points for DePaul.
Campbell, Madina Ali and Vanessa House, all also added 10 points each for WVU, who shot a woeful 37.5 percent from the field.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (22) 64 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 9 4:24 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (22) 31 HALFTIME
Jan 9 2:55 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17