Loyola hands Wisconsin-Green Bay first lossJan 22, 2010 - 1:50 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- Maggie McCloskey and Keisha Collins each scored 15 points to help Loyola-Chicago beat No. 17 Wisconsin-Green Bay 65-63 on Thursday night, handing the Phoenix their first loss of the season.
The win also snapped Loyola's 35-game losing streak to the Phoenix that dated back to 1995.
Julie Wojta scored 21 points to lead Wisconsin-Green Bay (16-1, 5-1 Horizon League), which had won its last 34 straight regular season games. Heading into Thursday night, the Phoenix were one of three unbeaten teams left, joining top-ranked Connecticut and No. 7 Nebraska.
"I felt like Loyola - give them credit - they came out tonight really wanting it more than we did," Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Matt Bolant said. "For whatever reason, we just didn't have that excitement or that passion to play. I don't know if it's the streak or the pressure of playing with it, or what."
Loyola-Chicago (10-8, 4-3) built a big early advantage and led 59-48 with about 2 minutes left before Green Bay rallied. Using pressure defense, the Phoenix cut their deficit to 63-61 with 12 seconds left, but Brittany Boeke hit two free throws to seal the victory.
Wojta scored with less than a second left for the final margin.
"They showed some resilience and heart in coming back. I thought we'd win the game. I felt that the whole game we would come back and win it," Bollant said. "We just waited to long before we made that move."
Green Bay managed just 25 first half points - its second lowest of the season - while the Ramblers got four 3-pointers from McCloskey to take a 36-25 advantage.
The Phoenix had never trailed at halftime this season and the 11-point deficit was the largest of the season for them. Wisconsin-Green Bay hadn't lost in the regular season since falling to DePaul in December 2008.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WISC GREEN BAY (17) 63
LOYOLA CHI 65 FINAL
Jan 21 7:40 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WISC GREEN BAY (17) 25
LOYOLA CHI 36 HALFTIME
Jan 21 6:32 PM
- Lady Vols pull away in final 6 minutes to beat Green Bay Mar 18
- Wis.-Green Bay-Tennessee Preview Mar 17
- Green Bay women rout Milwaukee, coast to Horizon title Mar 13
- Loyola of Chicago stuns No. 17 DePaul women 88-75 Dec 21
- No. 19 Michigan State women cruise past Loyola Chicago 76-47 Dec 6
- Princeton sprints past Green Bay Mar 21
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Borseth returning to coach Green Bay women Apr 4
- Kentucky fends off furious Green Bay rally to move on Mar 20
- Hot first half leads Phoenix past Cyclones Mar 17
- Green Bay downs Detroit to capture Horizon League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Green Bay downs UIC, advances to Horizon title game Mar 10