St. John's 77, Pittsburgh 65Mar 2, 2010 - 2:14 AM PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Kelly McManmon scored 18 points and No. 16 St. John's won for the 11th time in 13 games and clinched a double-bye in the Big East tournament with a 77-65 win over Pittsburgh on Monday night.
Da'Shena Stevens added 17 points and 15 rebounds and Shenneika Smith had 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Red Storm (24-5, 12-4), who reached 24 wins in a season for the first time in 26 years.
Nadirah McKenith had 14 assists for St. John's, tying for the sixth-most in a game in school history. The Red Storm shot 7 for 13 on 3-pointers, including 6 of 9 by McManmon.
Brittaney Thomas had a career-high 27 points and Chelsea Cole added 11 points and 16 rebounds for Pitt (16-13, 5-11), which had won four of its previous five.
It was the regular-season finale for both teams. The Red Storm will enter this weekend's Big East tournament in the quarterfinals as the No. 4 seed after No. 6 Notre Dame lost to No. 1 Connecticut on Monday night.
The Panthers, who were ranked as high as No. 15 earlier in the season, lost 11 conference games for the first time since 2004-05 - also the most recent time they lost as many as 13 overall.
The Red Storm led by nine after a 14-2 run late in the first half.
The game featured 11 ties, the last at 58-58 with 7:25 left. St. John's then used a 12-3 run to take the lead for good, part of a game-closing 19-7 run
- NCAA WOMENS BB
ST JOHNS (16) 77
PITTSBURGH 65 FINAL
Mar 1 8:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
ST JOHNS (16) 35
PITTSBURGH 29 HALFTIME
Mar 1 7:44 PM
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28
- Butler leads No. 23 Syracuse women past Pittsburgh 70-56 Feb 21
- Harry Perretta wins 699th game as Villanova beats St. John's Feb 12
- No. 12 Louisville women defeat Pittsburgh 84-61 Feb 11
- January sparks No. 23 DePaul women past St. John's 77-71 Jan 31
- No. 16 Florida State women beat Pitt 66-55 Jan 17