Balanced offense allows TCU to upset No. 18 KansasNov 28, 2009 - 11:44 PM FREEPORT, Bahamas(AP) -- Emily Carter scored 16 points, including two free throws with 13.8 seconds left after Kansas was called for a technical foul, lifting TCU to a 74-69 victory over No. 18 Kansas on Saturday at the Junkanoo Jam.
Krysten Boogaard had given the Jayhawks (3-2) a 69-68 lead when they tried to call timeout. They didn't have any left, and Carter converted both of the technical foul shots. TCU then hit two more down the stretch to seal the victory.
"I have never had that happen before. I have never had a staff member or a player call time out in that situation," Kansas coach Bonnie Henrickson said. "In our last huddle, the first and last thing I said was, 'Don't call time out, we are out.' But in the heat of a tight game, sometimes those things happen."
The Jayhawks led 64-55 with just under seven minutes to play on a free throw by Boogaard.
"I am sick about how we played down the stretch," Henrickson said. "We took bad shots, made bad decisions in our offense and didn't get back in transition. Give TCU credit. They kept playing and kept their composure."
Starr Crawford had 11 points for the Horned Frogs (4-2), who rebounded from a loss to Minnesota earlier in the tournament. TCU shot only 30.3 percent from the field in that game, but went 26 of 57 from the floor (45.6 percent) against the Jayhawks.
Kansas led 33-29 at halftime, thanks in part to good ball movement. The Big 12 team cranked out 20 assists for the game.
Boogaard scored 21 points to lead Kansas, while sophomore forward Aishah Sutherland added 16. Danielle McCray finished with 16 points, but was just 6 of 15 from the field.
The Jayhawks lost to Xavier 76-71 in their opening game in the Bahamas.
- Rodrigo scores 13, leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 66-50 Mar 6
- Kansas stuns TCU 81-64 to snap 20-game losing streak Mar 5
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas to a 71-58 win over TCU Feb 27
- No. 22 Oklahoma State women beat Kansas 71-49 Feb 24
- No. 20 Oklahoma women top Kansas 72-66 Feb 20
- Medley sets record as TCU women upset No. 17 Oklahoma State Feb 20
- No. 4 Baylor women beat TCU 81-75 for 11th Big 12 win in row Feb 10
- No. 4 Baylor women win 10th straight, 81-49 over Kansas Feb 6
- Pierre-Louis sparks No. 20 Oklahoma women past TCU 77-64. Feb 6
- Boyette leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 70-46 Jan 27
- Morton, Muldrow lead No. 25 W. Virginia women past TCU 97-84 Jan 24
- No. 6 Texas women rebound from loss, rally past TCU 65-58 Jan 21