Marsh leads No. 21 Vandy to victory over NC StateNov 29, 2009 - 1:19 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Meredith Marsh hit her first five 3-pointers and finished with 25 points. leading No. 21 Vanderbilt to a 77-71 win over North Carolina State on Saturday in the championship of the Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament.
Marsh hit a trio of 3-pointers to get the Commodores (6-0) off to a quick start, and Vanderbilt held the Wolfpack (5-2) scoreless for nearly 8 minutes while building a 13-0 lead.
Nikkitta Gartrell scored 15 points for N.C. State, while Lucy Ellison had 14 points and 12 rebounds and Bonae Holston 11 points and 11 rebounds.
Brittany Strachan scored 11 points, including a tip-in at the buzzer.
N.C. State trimmed a 20-point second-half lead to 73-65 on Gartrell's jumper, but Vanderbilt kept the Wolfpack at bay with free-throw shooting, making 28 of 35 for the game - including two by Marsh on a technical called against Gartrell.
Marsh, the tournament MVP, had 16 first-half points without missing a shot, going 4 for 4 behind the 3-point arc with four foul shots.
Jence Rhoads added 12 points for the Commodores.
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- No. 17 Syracuse beats NC State 80-61 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- NC State women beat Boston College 76-60 in ACC Tournament Mar 3
- Reed, Vanderbilt women roll to 74-59 victory over Ole Miss Mar 2
- Reed leads Vanderbilt women, upset No. 24 Missouri 56-52 Feb 28
- Vivians scores 21 in No. 16 Mississippi State's 66-61 win Feb 25
- No. 12 Florida State women hold off NC State 56-52 Feb 25
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 22 Florida women beat Vanderbilt 79-67 Feb 18
- Jennings leads No. 18 Kentucky women past Vanderbilt 71-55 Feb 14