Orsillo, No. 15 Arizona top Pepperdine 62-52Dec 6, 2009 - 1:27 AM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Danielle Orsillo scored 13 points and sparked a key first-half run that lifted No. 15 Arizona State to a 62-52 victory over Pepperdine in the final of the ASU Classic on Saturday.
Orsillo hit her second 3-pointer to start a 16-2 run over the final five minutes of the first half and give the Sun Devils (6-1) a 36-19 lead at the break.
Miranda Ayim scored 15 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked three shots to lead the Waves (5-4), who had won three straight. Lauren Bell added 12 points, six rebounds and five assists.
Pepperdine missed 12 of its last 15 shots of the first half after getting within 17-15 with 7:06 to play. Alex Earl, Orsillo and Tenaya Watson all hit 3s and the Sun Devils went on a 19-4 run over the final 5:24 of the half. The Waves did not get closer than nine in the second half.
Becca Tobin added 12 points, eight rebounds and a blocked shot for Arizona State. Alex Earl had
The Sun Devils, winners of four straight, have won their tournament eight of the last nine years and are 30-4 at home against non-Pac-10 teams since 2004.
After missing 13 of its first 19 shots against Idaho State on Friday, Arizona State got out to a much better start against Pepperdine, hitting 14-of-23 shots (61 percent) in the first half. The Sun Devils finished the night 23-of-48 (48 percent).
Jazmine Jackson added 11 points and four steals for Pepperdine, who shot just 30 percent from the field (20-of-65).
The Waves trailed 17-9 halfway through the first half before getting baskets from Ayim and Bell to get within 17-15 with 7:06 left but then went cold outside of Ayims next two shots.
Orsillo, who had 18 points in the tournament opening win over Idaho State, was selected the tournament most valuable player.
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21
- Brunner, No. 9 Arizona State cruise past Washingtom Feb 19
- Brunner beats buzzer in OT, No. 9 Arizona St beats Stanford Feb 15
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13