Iowa edges Michigan State in Top-20 matchupJan 28, 2011 - 3:41 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Kelly Krei's three-pointer in the final minute proved to be the difference, as No. 18 Iowa pulled out a 66-64 victory over 10th-ranked Michigan State in Big Ten action.
Kachine Alexander posted 23 points and 11 rebounds, while Krei and Jaime Printy each netted 11 points for the Hawkeyes (16-5, 4-4 Big Ten), who were coming off a loss at Ohio State on Monday.
Brittney Thomas and Kalisha Keane scored 17 and 14 points, respectively, for MSU (18-3, 6-2), which had a brief two-game winning streak snapped.
Iowa led 35-32 at the break, and it was nip-and-tuck throughout the second half. Michigan State trailed by two coming down the stretch and missed three shots during one possession before Krei hit a pivotal three-pointer for a 66-61 cushion with 51 seconds to go.
Keane answered with a three of her own with 39 seconds remaining, and an Iowa turnover gave the Spartans the ball back with eight seconds to go.
Keane was off the mark from long range this time, and Lykendra Johnson couldn't get the putback to fall just before the buzzer sounded.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 64
Jan 27 10:04 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 32
Jan 27 8:54 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 27 8:07 PM
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24