Tennessee tops Hatters in NCAA Tournament openerMar 19, 2011 - 7:19 PM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Glory Johnson scored 14 points and pulled down 10 rebounds as the Tennessee Lady Volunteers crushed the Stetson Hatters, 99-34, in the first-round action of the Dayton Regional of the NCAA Tournament.
Johnson, who played just 18 minutes for the top-seeded Lady Vols (32-2), connected on 5-of-6 shots from the floor for the hosts. Shekinna Stricklen led all scorers with 15 points, Angie Bjorklund posted 13 on 4-of-5 shooting behind the three-point line and Alyssia Brewer contributed 10 points, nine rebounds and five blocked shots in only 16 minutes off the bench.
The 16th-seeded Hatters (20-13) failed to have a single player score in double figures, with Tierra Brown and Victoria McGowan putting up seven points apiece. Brown shot a mere 1-of-10 behind the three-point line and a miserable 3-of-21 from the floor overall.
The Tennessee offense knocked down 57.9 percent from the floor in the first half, while the defense limited the visitors to a total of just seven made field goals in the frame, en route to a massive 55-20 edge at the break.
In the second half Stetson shooters converted just 5-of-34 shots from the floor as the Lady Vols cruised easily to the 65-point triumph.
Tennessee, which will face off against Marquette in the second round on Monday night, crushed the Hatters on the glass by a 63-31 margin to make up for just 13-of-24 shooting at the free-throw line. The 34 points by Stetson were the fewest allowed by a Pat Summitt team in the NCAA Tournament.
Stetson, which finished the afternoon with just 18.2 percent accuracy from the floor and 3-of-24 beyond the arc, is now 0-5 all-time versus the Lady Vols.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21