Penn State shoots down Flyers in NCAA TournamentMar 19, 2011 - 11:06 PM University Park, PA (Sports Network) - Alex Bentley scored a game-high 25 points as she led the Penn State Lady Lions to a 75-66 win over the Dayton Flyers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Bryce Jordan Center.
Also scoring in double figures for the sixth-seeded Lady Lions (25-9) in the Philadelphia Region were Mia Nickson and Maggie Lucas with 14 and 12 points, respectively. Nickson also accounted for a game-high 10 rebounds as well.
The 11th-seeded Flyers (21-12) were paced by Patrice Lalor who dropped in 18 points and handed out a game-high 11 assists, while Kristin Daugherty contributed 18 points as well.
PSU shot just 2-of-7 from three-point range in the first half, but the squad managed to hold the visitors to just 34.3 percent from the floor overall in the period, en route to a 42-30 advantage at the break.
In the second half Dayton made things interesting by closing the gap with 51.7 percent shooting from the floor and 6-of-11 out on the perimeter, but the Lady Lions used 12-of-14 shooting at the free-throw line to secure the victory.
The Flyers turned the ball over 22 times on the day and were outscored at the free-throw line by an 18-2 margin.
These teams faced off against each other early this season as well, with PSU delivering a 112-107 win in double overtime at UD Arena.
With the victory PSU will now face DePaul in the second round of the tournament.
- DAYTON: 66
PENN STATE: 75
Mar 19 1:08 PM
- DAYTON: 30
PENN STATE: 42
Mar 19 11:59 AM
- DAYTON: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 11:11 AM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7
- Williams has 30 and No. 24 USF women beat Penn State 101-79 Dec 6
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66 Nov 29
- Smith leads No. 13 Stanford women past Dayton 74-66 Nov 28
- Graves helps No. 4 Tennessee survive Penn State 74-66 Nov 18
- UConn shakes Dayton, advances to another Final Four Mar 31
- Dayton upsets Louisville to advance to Elite Eight Mar 28