McMorris and Marquette march through TexasMar 19, 2011 - 11:06 PM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Tatiyiana McMorris knocked down a three- pointer from the wing with 5.9 seconds remaining to give the Marquette Golden Eagles a 68-65 win over the Texas Longhorns in first-round action of the Dayton Regional of the NCAA Tournament.
McMorris finished the afternoon 3-of-7 behind the three-point line and 5-of-10 from the floor overall for the eighth-seeded Golden Eagles (24-8) as she posted 13 points. Angel Robinson tallied a team-high 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds, followed by Paige Fiedorowicz with 14 points in the triumph.
The ninth-seeded Longhorns (19-14) were paced by Kathleen Nash with 19 points and nine rebounds, while Chassidy Fussell and Ashleigh Fontenette put up 11 and 10 points, respectively. Ashley Gayle made an impression with 11 rebounds and four blocked shots in the setback as well.
Texas failed to make a single trip to the free-throw line in the contest, but even while the Golden Eagles hit on all six of their chances at the stripe in the first half it was the Longhorns who held to a 36-35 lead at the break.
In the second half Marquette fought back and tied the contest late and thanks to a pair of blocked shots by Sarina Simmons in the final minute it allowed McMorris to set up for the game-winner.
Texas posted a 42-35 edge on the glass, holding Marquette to just eight offensive rebounds on the day, but the Golden Eagles outscored the 'Horns by a margin of 13-0 at the charity stripe.
Texas finished just 1-12 against top-25 programs this season.
Marquette will now take on top-seeded Tennessee in the second round on Monday night.
- TEXAS: 65
Mar 19 3:10 PM
- TEXAS: 36
Mar 19 2:06 PM
- TEXAS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 1:24 PM
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20
- Muscular No. 10 Missouri's size a concern for No. 2 Texas Mar 20
- Big 3rd quarter sends Texas over Alabama State 86-42 Mar 20
- Alabama St.-Texas Preview Mar 18
- NM State women breeze by Rio Grande Valley for WAC title Mar 12