DePaul sinks Navy in first roundMar 19, 2011 - 11:07 PM University Park, PA (Sports Network) - Felicia Chester registered a double- double with 12 points and 10 rebounds as she helped lead the DePaul Blue Demons to a 56-43 win over the Navy Midshipmen in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Bryce Jordan Center.
Chester, who shot 6-of-12 from the floor on the day for third-seeded DePaul (28-6), added six steals and four assists to her stat line. Anna Martin and Katherine Harry chipped in 10 points apiece, the latter clearing seven boards as well.
Navy (20-12), the 14th seed in the Philadelphia Region, was paced by Jade Geif who recorded game highs of 14 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out, while Angela Myers contributed 13 points, but also turned the ball over seven times on the day.
DePaul looked awful in the first half, shooting just 30.8 percent from the field and missing all 10 chances behind the three-point line, yet the team still managed to take a 24-21 lead at the break nonetheless.
In the second half the Blue Demons defense clamped down by holding Navy to just eight total field goals and 1-of-8 shooting out on the perimeter, en route to the double-digit victory.
DePaul forced a staggering 23 turnovers and traded them in for 20 points at the offensive end of the floor.
With the victory the Blue Demons are into the second round of the tourney and will face off against the Penn State Lady Lions.
- NAVY: 43
Mar 19 3:28 PM
- NAVY: 21
Mar 19 2:22 PM
- NAVY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 1:39 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- No. 21 DePaul women roll to 78-52 win over Creighton Feb 21
- Podkowa leads No. 21 DePaul women past Providence 91-68 Feb 19