Bulldogs advance with upset victory over IowaMar 20, 2011 - 1:16 AM Spokane, WA (Sports Network) - Courtney Vandersloot poured in a career-high 34 points to lead the 11th-seeded Gonzaga Bulldogs to a 92-86 victory over the sixth-seeded Iowa Hawkeyes in the first round of the Spokane Region of the NCAA Tournament at McCarthey Athletic Center.
Vandersloot also finished with seven rebounds and seven assists for Gonzaga (28-4), which will play the UCLA Bruins in the second round. Kayla Standish added 30 points, while Janelle Bekkering tallied 11 points. Katelan Redmon also helped out in the win, finishing with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Jaime Printy registered 25 points for Iowa (22-8), while Kachine Alexander posted 18 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists. Kelly Krei scored 15 points in the loss, while Morgan Johnson chipped in 10 points and pulled down nine caroms.
The Hawkeyes went into the break with a 44-37 lead after posting a 48.3 percent shooting effort, which included a 7-of-14 clip from behind the arc.
However, the Bulldogs fought back for the thrilling victory, as they connected on 57.1 percent of their attempts over the final 20 minutes of action, and also used a 12-of-13 clip from the foul line.
Gonzaga embarrassed Iowa in the paint, out-scoring the Hawkeyes down low by a 46-24 margin.
- GONZAGA: 92
Mar 19 6:06 PM
- GONZAGA: 37
Mar 19 4:56 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 4:11 PM
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 7 Ohio State blasts Iowa 98-81 for 8th straight win Feb 11
- Powers keys No. 17 Michigan St women in 74-69 win over Iowa Feb 7
- No. 18 Michigan State women beat Iowa 80-73 Jan 16
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 8 Maryland to win over Iowa Jan 10
- Johnson leads Iowa State women to 69-66 win over No. 23 Iowa Dec 11
- Disterhoft leads No. 25 Iowa women to 64-50 win over Houston Nov 28
- No. 24 George Washington women edge No. 25 Iowa 81-77 in 2OT Nov 27
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77 Nov 26
- Lady Vols capture thrilling OT win to advance Mar 28
- Bears bounce Hawkeyes in Sweet 16 rout Mar 28