The Tar Heels cruise into the second roundMar 20, 2011 - 3:02 AM Albuquerque, NM (Sports Network) - Italee Lucas scored 22 points to lead the North Carolina Tar Heels to an 82-68 victory over the Fresno State Bulldogs in the first round of the Spokane Region of the NCAA Tournament at The Pit.
Chay Shegog added 12 points for the fifth-seeded Tar Heels (27-8), while Cetera DeGraffenreid tallied 11 points. Jessica Breland and Tierra Ruffin- Pratt both contributed 10 points, and pulled down nine rebounds apiece for North Carolina, which will now take on Kentucky in the second round.
Hayley Munro registered 15 points for Fresno State (25-8), while Jaleesa Ross and Rosie Moult chipped in 14 points apiece.
The Tar Heels went into the break with a 40-36 advantage after limiting Fresno State to a woeful 31.4 percent shooting effort from the floor.
North Carolina used a strong offensive showing in the second stanza, as the team posted a 54.2 percent shooting effort en route to the win.
The Tar Heels finished 22-of-29 from the foul line, while Fresno State connected on only 12-of-16 attempts from the charity stripe.
- FRESNO STATE: 68
NORTH CAROLINA: 82
Mar 19 6:12 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 36
NORTH CAROLINA: 40
Mar 19 5:01 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 4:16 PM
- No. 22 Colorado State women win MWC title 55-54 Mar 11
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 22 Colorado State women beat Fresno State 68-55 Mar 1
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53 Nov 24
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28