Notre Dame headed to the second roundMar 20, 2011 - 2:46 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins scored 20 points to lead the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to a 67-54 victory over the Utah Utes in first round action of the Dayton Region of the NCAA Tournament at the Huntsman Center.
Natalie Novosel also posted 20 points for the second-seeded Fighting Irish (27-7), who will now take on Temple in the second round. Becca Bruszewski added 13 points, while Derereaux Peters finished with 12 points.
Iwalani Rodrigues led Utah (18-17) with 21 points on 6-of-9 shooting. Janita Badon tallied 11 points, while Michelle Harrison finished with 10 points and 16 rebounds.
Notre Dame went into the break with a 36-33 lead after shooting 46.7 percent from the floor in the first half.
The Irish put forth a strong defensive showing in the second stanza, as they limited Utah to a weak 26.7 percent shooting effort.
Notre Dame held Utah to just 32.7 percent shooting in the contest and also forced 18 turnovers.
- UTAH: 54
NOTRE DAME: 67
Mar 19 8:20 PM
- UTAH: 33
NOTRE DAME: 36
Mar 19 7:14 PM
- UTAH: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 6:35 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5