Stanford has little trouble advancing to the next roundMar 20, 2011 - 3:02 AM Stanford, CA (Sports Network) - Nnemkadi Ogwumike scored 22 points and pulled down seven rebounds to lead the Stanford Cardinal to an 86-59 victory over the UC Davis Aggies in first round play of the Spokane Region of the NCAA Tournament at Maples Pavilion.
Lindy La Rocque added 14 points for Stanford (30-2), which will face the ninth-seeded St. John's Red Storm in the second round. The top-seeded Cardinal also received 11 points apiece from Kayle Pedersen, Jeanette Pohlen and Toni Kokenis, while Pholen and Pedersen also finished with eight and seven assists, respectively. Chiney Ogwumike also helped Stanford's cause with 10 points.
Paige Mintun posted 17 points for UC Davis (24-9), while Heidi Heintz chipped in 11 points in the loss.
The Cardinal took a 42-30 lead into the break after posting a 60.0 percent shooting effort, which included a 6-of-10 showing from long range.
Stanford continued its hot shooting in the second stanza by connecting on 51.6 percent of its attempts, including 7-of-12 from behind the arc.
The Cardinal finished 13-of-22 from long range, while UC Davis made 6-of-14 three-point attempts.
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18